– The Klan’s existence began immediately after the Civil War in the late 1860’s, and it flourished, fractured, and expanded from then on, and throughout the 20th Century. It was a driving force to Oppress and Kill Black Americans in the South during the height of the Jim Crow era, from the early 1900’s through the 1960’s.
#2. The KKK was originally founded and led by Rich White Men, White Businessmen, Political figures, Military leaders, Law Enforcement, Lawyers, Doctors, Farmers, etc.
– Notable Southern General Nathan Bedford Forrest was the first Grand Wizard of the Klan. Throughout the South in the 20th Century businessmen and prominent figures such as Police Chiefs and Politicians put the White Hood on to cover up their association with the violent Hate group. This was not a “backwoods” organization founded and led by poor white “rednecks.” These were “1 percent” types so to speak.
– The fact that we saw a “Black Power” movement in America, in addition to MLK’s Civil Rights movement, was not an attempt to go to war with White America, rather it was to attempt to physically wrestle power away from Racist Systems, Politicians, and Police, as well as to become self-sufficient and stand up to forces that were attacking the Black community without Law enforcement doing anything about it – because often times Law Enforcement was in on it. From local Police all the way up to the FBI.
#3. Racism in 2015 is much trickier and far more insidious than simply being associated with groups like “the Klan.”
– Our entire Justice system in AMERICA, from profiling and targeting, to a Racially Bias “War on Drugs,” to our School to Prison pipeline where children of color are set-up to fail; the entire structure is very much an ‘AmeriKKKan’ institution at this point.
– You don’t have to be an outwardly Racist person, or have a White Hood hanging in your closet to be a supporter of Systemic Racism.
This is why we must ALL work to end the New Jim Crow, the War on Drugs, and the School to Prison pipeline. It’s not enough to simply expose Racists, we need greater awareness about policies and legislation that shape these Racist institutions. This is why “Black Lives Matter” is so important. This is why History is always relevant.
* Note: I’m not claiming to support the Anonymous story as true or false. If these claims are true, let them come out. If they are not, they are not only damaging to someone whom might not actually be associated with the Klan, but more so damaging to the bigger perspective of what REAL INSTITUTIONALIZED RACISM looks like in the 21st Century. You do not need a White Hood to be knowingly (or unknowingly) supporting these racist systems and structures. Politicians that accept money from Private Prison lobbies (Hillary Clinton), or work to uphold mandatory minimum sentencing (Bill Clinton, Diane Feinstein) are doing more damage to the Black and Brown community than any coward in a Klan outfit.
– Nate Mezmer
FEW MAY KNOW